Click for Dog Grooming Equipment & Supplies (Affiliate Link)
I have reviewed many books, software packages and tools but I must say it is not often that I come across a book that gets such glowing reviews and endorsements from people who have purchased and implemented its ideas. The book, From Problems to Profits: The Madson Management System for Pet Grooming Businesses, is written by Madeline B. Ogle, PhD. The reader is given the benefit of years of experience as the author describes how she established her thriving, well-renowned pet grooming business.
From Problems to Profits – Description
This book is usually considered an essential part of a beginning groomer’s education. But it is also considered an essential aid for already established groomers looking to improve their business. Now that is quite a statement; an endorsement to be sure.
What is even more impressive is the fact that it has stood the test of time. It is not a “fly-by-night” production but it has been providing sound business advice to want-to-be pet groomers for years.
True to its name, From Problems to Profits: The Madson Management System for Pet Grooming Businesses goes over all of the business aspects involved in starting up your own grooming business.
Other books and videos featured on this site cover the actual art of mastering the different techniques required of breed grooming.
However, what is needed in addition to the technical skills is the how-to with respect to business savvy and business decisions for those who wish to run their own dog grooming business. And this is one book that can do that.
Who is this Book for?
- Those wanting to start their own pet grooming business.
- Established groomers looking to grow their business to the next level.
Style of Book
- It comes as a paperback book.
- It provides more than 100 illustrations.
From Problems to Profits – Topics
The grooming business topics covered include:
- Safety considerations
- when to hire more
- how to manage employees
- establishing good customer relations
- keeping good records
- planning financially
- business forms
- Grooming Tools
Pros and Cons
- The book can save lots and lots of time experimenting with the best way to run your grooming business.
- An ideal aid if wanting to run your own dog grooming salon.
- It covers the actual running of a grooming business.
- The book provides an easy to use business plan which is generally considered straight forward to implement.
- You can get lots of tips, based on experience, from the author.
- The book is very well organized.
- Can provide ideas on how to set your salon pricing, how to managed appointments as well as how to manage staffing.
- The book probably doesn’t cover mobile grooming businesses to the same extent. If this is your business model, you might need a companion book.
This is a book that you can refer back to time and time again as you grow your business from a start up to an established center. In many respects it can be considered a sound investment in the short term if you take Madeline’s advice while starting your business as well as in the long term given the improvements and the value-added enhancements that it allows you to make to your business.
Let’s hear your start-up experiences as a pet groomer via the comments below.
~ DGCO ~